Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

My First Half Recap

Yup. "It" finally happened! It has been in the works for three years!
2011 - I started saying "I want to run a half-marathon. I'm going to do it." But, in reality, I was too chicken to sign up.
Too afraid of failure.
2012 - I signed up SUPER EARLY. I was training. I was passionate about running. Then, my shoulder (from years & years of softball pitching) become unbearable & I headed off to the surgeon after putting it off for a few ten years. The problem with running was that I had a pinched nerve in my neck from my shoulder injury that when I ran caused an incredible amount of pain that shot down my back. He told me I was done,  no more running.
So I deferred my race registration to 2013.
When I did that I had no idea that after seven months of no running allowed I would hate it when I started.
I never once stopped to think I would have to start back over with working up to one mile.
When I first started running on this journey, it took awhile to find that runners high, that love.
I was so flippin' mad I had to go through that all.over.again.
So I struggled.
I struggled with running.
I struggled with wanting to run.
I struggled with how slow I was (and with that I fully acknowledge that I will never be fast).
I struggled with sticking to the training schedule.
But this was a goal I had set three years ago.
I am not a quitter.
Never have been, never will be.

Prior to race day, my longest run was 10 miles. You can read that here....it didn't go real well. A couple days after that run, I started struggling with a strained hamstring. So from that run until the race, the furthest I had done was a five miler. Otherwise, after resting my leg for about a week, I did little "baby" runs, two or three miles, tops.

I had some serious anxiety wondering if I would be able to cross the finish line. 
I had some serious self-doubt. 
Here is how I prepared mentally because I knew it would come down to the mental aspect as well as my amazing buddy, Kingsley, that I run for through an organization called I Run 4 Michael.

After carb-loading Saturday evening (I should run half-marathons more often) I woke up Sunday morning at 5, three hours before race time. 
I went to the kitchen to drink my Spark and found myself singing, "I'm gonna run a half-marathon. I'm gonna run 13 miles." over & over.
I was pumped.
I was focused.
I was just praying I was ready.

As I was waiting in the chute for the race to start, I was so inspired looking around seeing all the different shapes, sizes, & ages of the runners. All there to accomplish the same thing - cross a finish line. I was so ready! I reviewed my game plan, which was full of thinking about Kingsley & running for him & promising myself I was going to start slow & make sure I had enough "gas" in my tank at the end!


And we were off.
Immediately, people were passing me left & right. At first, I let it get to me. 
But, I kept checking my Garmin for my pace & reminded myself of my game plan.

Miles 1-3 flew by so fast. I maintained my pace, enjoyed the scenery, jammed out to some music, read cool shirts, smiled at others.
Miles 4-5 - I kept saying "wow, I feel really good. I am really going to do this, huh?"
Mile 6- I was feeling awesome. I knew then I was going to be just fine because it was mile 6 in my 10 mile training run that my legs were tight & it was my worst mile. But, I was feeling sweet!
Miles 7-9 had some inclines, nothing huge, but inclines. Just after mile 7 I saw another porta-jon. Not knowing where the next one might be, I knew I had to stop. It was a five minute wait - ugh!! Note to self: was super glad I had that kleenex in my running belt....it was out of t.p.! Finally, took right off running again. This stretch was when I really started passing people, which felt amazing & my pace was still pretty good (minus the bathroom stop that I wish for my own reference I would have paused my Garmin).
Miles 9-11 I don't really remember much. Other than a ton of random thoughts I had.....those were like a blur! I know these were the super tough mental miles. I was not running physically here, it was mentally. It was the quotes I had used all week. It was my own quotes I use during softball season. It was me telling myself that I was going to do this.
Mile 12...that was when the legs became ON FIRE! I was starting to struggle. But, up to this point in time, I had not walked at all. I was super proud of that & had already been thinking about telling everyone how I didn't have to walk. I wasn't gonna stop, I had to keep running, as I chanted "Kingsley, Kingsley..." over & over again in my head. 
But boy, they were TIGHT.
As we turned into the final stretch, I picked a couple of people up ahead that I could tell were struggling. I made a goal to get passed them....and yes, as I was passing some of them, some of the FULL marathoners were passing me...those peeps are amazing!
I finally stopped my music as there were spectators again yelling, you could hear the announcer talking, I saw the flag for Mile #13...."I'm really going to do this." Right as I got to the flag, I heard my girls cheering me on. Wow...what a moment to look over & see them so proud & excited. I picked up my pace & sprinted through the finish line.


I did it.
I ran a half-marathon with no walking.
I felt amazing.
I felt proud.
I felt like my legs were on fire....oh wait, they were!
I got my medal with the biggest smile ever.
I got my drink & found my family again.
"I didn't have to walk. Not at all."
My girls smiled big & I could see how proud (and shocked) my family was.

My question a few moments later was, "when is the next half-marathon."

I will run one again.

This is my youngest daughter in the bottom with her arms up in the air for "Mommy!"
And you better believe that this baby went up on my car right away!!! 

Until Next Time~
*krisha*



No comments:

Post a Comment