Pages

Friday, May 2, 2014

A Month With No Progress??




Oh…that feeling of a new month! A month where you get super fired up because it is a chance to make real progress this month, it is a brand new start, a month where you can change where you didn’t succeed the month before! You always enter into a new month with big goals, high expectations & a FIRE under your booty! 

I entered April fired up! Although in terms of the scale in March I was still stuck in my plateau but I was losing inches! April was going to be the month that I shattered through my plateau! 

Well I sit here this week at the end of April realizing that by any sense of measurement, I made no progress. My scale is still bouncing between the same exact three pounds it has been. I cannot locate my measurements (super annoyed with myself) from the beginning of April, but you can see from my picture here that there has not been a significant change at all. 
 (Top picture from May 1st & bottom pic from April 1st.)

I could get discouraged.

Honestly, I DID get discouraged. I had one of those stupid pity parties.

I sat here on Wednesday beating myself up over the skipped workouts, the unhealthy meals I consumed, the processed food I shoved in my mouth, the days I hardly logged 4,000 steps on my Fitbit and the days I was way under my water goal for the day. 

Oh yes, I could always point out my failures. But, because I am currently really working on the concept of “talk to yourself the way you would a friend,” I had to redirect my thoughts. I am a person who always sees the positive for others & preaches positive thinking! However, this has always been a struggle for myself that many are surprised about!  

My April changes were not physical at all.
You cannot measure my changes. 
You cannot see my changes. 

But, I can feel them.

First, my relationship with food has really started making a big change. I once didn’t question anything I put in my mouth. If I wanted it, I wanted it. Now, I’m asking myself these questions:
Is it really worth it?
Is it really hunger?
Is this going to fuel my body?

I am reading ingredients a lot & have recently said “NO” to many things before shoving them in! I think I have possibly retrained my taste buds….I always claimed I didn’t like almonds (or really any type of nut), and now I am in love with KIND bars  (the dark chocolate & sea salt…OH MY!) and love almonds. I am grabbing a small handful here & there for a snack or pre-workout! My taste buds are really craving those clean & healthy foods! 

A positive mental attitude….self-confidence is everything! I have always….for as long as I can remember….compared myself to everyone in everything! Running – oh my, my pace is SO slow compared to her; I should be embarrassed! Weight – Ugh. I’m so huge, she weighs like 10 pounds less than me. Clothes – I so wish I could wear a dress like that; she looks great, but I’d look like a whale in it. 

You get the picture…..

This is finally becoming my motto:

The only person I need to be better than is the person I was yesterday. 

My attitude has changed…..I ran yesterday, 6.5 miles, I didn’t worry about my pace. I just enjoyed the alone time I needed to reflect. I enjoyed my tunes. I praised Him for giving me the ability to run that many miles. When I was done, I knew how long I ran so of course, I knew what my pace ended up being, but I didn’t care. I didn’t beat myself up with the normal “You were so slow today. Your pace is horrible.” Instead, I said this, “6.5 miles is amazing & hard! You did it. You achieved the distance you set out to do & took the time to do it. No excuses.”  I am over making fun of myself for my slow pace because I am doing it. I am trying. I am moving. So many are not. 

When I am running or at my classes, I can feel myself getting so much stronger! No, to the eye you may not be able to see it...YET. But I feel it. My trainer told me the other day that I am doing great & getting so much stronger. She said she was impressed with my workouts & how awesome I’m doing. That was a feel good moment I needed. 
I feel it and she can see it.

I just feel good right now.

I feel great.

I am taking care of myself again. I am back on the list of priorities. I feel amazing when working out. When I am working out & taking the time to eat right I am such a better wife, mom, daughter, sister & friend. Simply put, because I feel great. Yesterday I got a sweet message from a friend who had just seen me & said, “you look happy...just wanted to let you know,……I can honestly say you looked like a woman of Joy last night!!!” 

This made me smile because I know that maybe my changes for April cannot be measured but I can feel them and others CAN, in fact, SEE them. 


Until Next Time~
*Krisha*
The Grits Blog

1 comment: