Pages

Saturday, January 3, 2015

A Slap!



Have you ever read or seen something that literally just slapped you across the face? 

Like hard?

To be honest, I have spent the last three nights alone at home. Yesterday was a day....a day where life really hit me hard. 

I came home from work early and poured myself a glass of wine. I sat in my chair in the living room.. . in complete and total silence.

No TV. No music. No phone.

Just me. I had my thoughts. I had my feelings. I had my memories. I had my dreams. I had my reflections. I had my prayers. 

I allowed some great hurt to eat me alive. All day. All evening. All night. Until I finally forced my eyes closed. I made myself feel the hurt, as deep as it was. Pain does demand to be felt, but all too often, we push it down further instead of feeling it. This is what I have been doing for the past few months...this week was when I finally realized I needed to accept what was gone. I never realized before that being completely alone can be such a blessing. When you are alone, there is nowhere to run. No escape from your reality. I allowed myself to feel the hurt, the pain, the loneliness, the anger, the confusion, the lost hope. 

I realized this "alone" thing is something we never get anymore. When was the last time I allowed myself to just be? With all of our amazing technologies these days, you cannot escape. Instead of being alone with your reality, we text our friends; we scroll Facebook; we get lost on Pinterest; we view the pictures on Instagram; we turn on the DVR; we jam out to Pandora. I find it all too easy to just ignore my own real life, my own thoughts and emotions. 

The last three nights my weakness could not be defeated and I found my focus on many negatives. I was giving the negatives power over me. I was too weak to fight it, to be honest...even the strongest of people have moments of weakness.

This morning I got up before 5 (yup, if I sleep past 4:30 these days it is a miracle) going through my motions. Making my coffee. Feeding the pets. Emptying the dishwasher. Starting the laundry. Just the motions of life. I found myself feeling shut-down for the day. 

And then, I saw an image. I read words. They slapped me. 



I knew I was allowing things that are over in my life too much control. I was allowing the hurt from people I never thought I would feel it from make me weak.  Krisha was shutting down again, hiding from emotions and thoughts.

Nope. I have the choice. The choice to stand up and say this is not my focus. I have felt the pain and the hurt from the disappointment, I accept that once you lose some people in life you don't get them back, that some dreams never come true, and memories just need to remain memories. But, today, instead of dwelling on what is gone or what is lost, I am going to count my blessings for those who are in my life. For those that I know will remain by my side through any storm I face. The ones that will always pick me up when I fall.  The ones that God has blessed me with. 

Last night I resented my loneliness. I was angered about it. But, today, I see it was a blessing. 

A fellow Facebook friend shared this image with me yesterday after reading my blog posts (thank you!). It's printed next to my bed. 


I say goodbye to yesterday. I say hello to today. I say tomorrow I will continue to treasure my many blessings. 


Until Next Time~
*krisha*

7 comments:

  1. My favorite post so far. Keep writing. Keep being. Keep pursuing.

    Here's my favorite quote from Elizabeth Gilbert:
    “Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words!!! And for reading! Love, love this quote - printing it out now! Thanks girl!! Xoxo

      Delete
  2. Krisha,
    First, I am loving your posts! Keep being! Second, I think you would really enjoy a Christian writer/blogger named Jennie Allen. I have read 2 of her books and they resonated so deeply with my soul. They are called Anything and Restless. I was able to hear her speak, and she is so amazing...raw, real, and inspiring. I often feel like many Christian leaders are always so Pollyanna (not that it is bad), which just isn't realistic in this crazy, messy life we lead. Today she posted this "what if the things that have caused the most hurt in your life became the birthplace of your deepest passions?"
    I pray you keep writing,learning, and sharing. God surely has big plans for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alicia! So going to check out her books - thank you so much for sharing! Xoxo

      Delete
  3. Krisha, thank you for this post. I had many nights like you described several years ago. A turning point for me was when I stopped praying for my old dreams to be restored and I started praying for new dreams and new possibilities. This is a night that I will never forget. I let go of the past and looked forward with hope of new happiness, new relationships, a new me. You have so many new possibilities ahead of you now and so many new dreams waiting to be realized. I look back and my lonely nights several years ago with fondness now. They helped bring me what I have today and they helped me know who I am and who I strive to be. Much love to you - your dreams will come true! They just might look different than what you imagined years ago (and better!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three years ago I saw a quote on a church sign that has stuck with me ever since: "Loneliness is the human condition." At the time I was going through a divorce, and loneliness was a weight I carried every day (and still do). I saw that quote and broke down crying in my car. It's the one thing we don't talk about but that we all share. We don't express pain, desperation, sadness because it doesn't fit the shiny, happy image we think we need to portray. And, sometimes we buy in to the idea that others couldn't possibly feel what we feel. But they do. You aren't alone. We are all connected through that piece of our humanity. You are very brave to express yourself. And I admire you. And I know you'll rediscover who you are and what you want.

    Sending love from Charlotte, NC.

    ReplyDelete