Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Yup!

There is something....something....about a four mile run through the snow, ice and slush that can make you feel pretty bad ass! 

I had four miles down on my training plan for today. I saved it for the afternoon when I knew my girls would be gone for a few hours. Yes, you better believe I had piles, and I mean piles, of laundry to be folded, ironed, put away; I had food to be prepped; a dishwasher to be empty; a house that was in need of being picked up; you know all the Sunday Funday stuff this full-time working mama tries to accomplish on a Sunday! 


So, yes, I thought about crossing off my run for the day several times. But, if there is one thing I have learned on this journey: you MUST throw away your excuses. The only one you're hurting with your dumb, lame excuses is yourself. It's all about making the time; you will never find an extra hour in your schedule to workout. But, if it is a priority, you make the time.


I will admit that most times I am the biggest dork ever during my prep time for a run! I absolutely LOVE putting on my running gear, blasting my running playlist as I get ready, drinking my Spark, stretching. I am literally bouncing off the walls during this time!  That anticipation... the excitement of knowing I am crossing more miles off my list; taking a step to achieving my goals; making my body stronger; making myself better than yesterday. 


Today was a gorgeous sunny 29 degree day in Michigan. The roads were covered in snow, ice and slush. My route was hilly. I pounded out four miles very smoothly....one 20 second walk break at the halfway point, otherwise my run felt strong.







There is just something about the run. Sometimes I get lost in my music, at times even singing out loud; sometimes a song takes me back to some far distant memory and other times makes me dream of the future. I get my cluttered mind cleared out; sometimes I think of absolutely nothing. Other times I sort out problems in my mind or organize the best way to tackle my "to do list." Some runs are spent focusing on my breathing and my technique; while some runs I finish and have no idea where my mind just went. 


The run is like magic. It it peaceful - time for me to pray or just talk with Him. I take in the scenery. I praise Him for a body that can put one foot in front of the other and for a heart that pushes me to do more. I thank Him for pairing me up with the coolest buddy in the world, Kingsley, via the I Run 4 organization. 


The run make me feel free. For however many steps I take on each run, I can be free from my troubles, free from any anxiety, free from any pain or anger. Some days I might be running from something, while others I might be running to something. I can get lost on the run. I can be found on the run. 



The run always gives me back more than it ever takes. I re-enter my house and feel awesome. I feel stronger. I feel focused. I feel happy. I feel energetic. I feel like a better woman. I am a better mama. My renewed energy tackles that list of things to be done before we take off on another hectic week...another week where I will try to be better than the previous one. 


Let's not forget my Sunday night "wind down" glass of wine....after running around all day long, this mama struggles to unwind on a Sunday night. Now that 10:30 has struck, my 3:00 internal alarm clock will strike all too soon as I will jump out of bed ready to tackle more goals. 





Until Next Time~

*krisha*

No comments:

Post a Comment