Pages

Saturday, January 17, 2015

#megsmiles

Today's run was not about me. Not at all.

My buddy, Kingsley, is always in on any run or workout I take on. This handsome little man pushes me always. To be his running legs is an incredible privilege.

But, today was also in honor of a fellow runner, Meg, who was tragically killed last January while out on her morning run by a drunk driver. No, I never met her. In fact, never heard her name until after this accident.

But, the running community is a community unlike any other. The community isn't about competing with your neighbor; its about inspiring, helping, encouraging one another. I have many, many on-line "runner friends" that I will never meet in person. But, every day their stories and words inspire me.

Today, the running community all over ran in honor of Meg. The Facebook event read the following:
This Saturday, January 17, 2015, no matter what your distance, no matter where you live, run for Meg. Take in the fresh air, be aware of your surroundings, keep your headphones on low, feel the heaviness in your lungs, the soreness in your legs, and be grateful for it--for all of it. The sweat, the pain, the wind, the cold…everything. Be grateful for that moment.


So, that is what I did. I laced up my shoes & headed out with a goal of five miles; longest distance I have ran since my marathon in September. The run today was not easy; there were times I felt weak and many times I thought about stopping and really considered turning around before the 2.5 mile mark. 

But, it wasn't about me. I was running for those who no longer can and for those who are not able to. I kept putting one foot in front of the other simply because my body can. The cold winter air felt refreshing to me. The power pushing in my legs uphill and downhill reminded me how blessed I am to have the strength. The wind stinging my cheeks reminded me of how beautiful nature can be even with less than ideal conditions. There will be a day when my body will no longer be able to run but today is not that day. So, today I am truly grateful for the physical ability, heart, attitude, and strength to do so. 

That's the thing about running; even your difficult runs make you feel grateful for the moment.

Until Next Time~
*krisha*

No comments:

Post a Comment