Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

Did Not Finish...

Okay so I am currently training for a 25k race...that equals a little over 15 miles....WHAT? I haven't actually signed up yet but am leaning towards it soon. I thought about the 10k but I really wanted something to challenge me. I had been feeling stuck; unmotivated; and not challenge. I LOVE a good challenge! 

The first challenge of this is running outside in a glorious Michigan winter! When my run club started three weeks ago, I had NEVER run out in winter weather! That day I tackled four miles & felt great! Last week I took on five miles & busted it out at a pace of 1:03 faster than my four mile run & a faster pace than I've had in FOREVER.

So then.....there was yesterday. A six mile run on the plan. I can do six miles; I have done that many, many time....right?!

My first mile felt good, but faster than normal. I could not get my legs & head on the same page at all - my legs wanted to go much faster....strange! I think my Runners Bootcamp class is working! My breathing was all out in "left field," it was only 19 degree with some wind depending on my direction but at least the sun was out in all its glory (last week it was 31 degrees out - perfect temp). 

Mile two I started to feel off. My legs felt like they weighed approximately a ton per leg...I mean, my legs are short & tree trunks, but don't weigh that much! Nothing was smooth. Nothing was on. Nothing felt good. Nothing was right.

I started doing some walk/run intervals hoping I'd get out of my funk. It didn't work. I struggled through those next 2 miles & decided today was not my day.....four miles is a good run. 

I beat myself up. I told myself I failed. I told myself I was a quitter. 

But then, I remembered, I had tried. I pushed through four miles when I could have stopped at two. I could have skipped the run all together. I could have picked an easier race & training plan & been breezing through my runs. 

It sucked. I'm not sure why yesterday wasn't my day. I'm in the middle of the Advocare 10 day cleanse so I'm thinking this might have been part of it. My stomach had felt "off" yesterday morning/afternoon & I know my body probably didn't have the proper fuel in it to tackle six miles. 
Regardless what the issue was, I will try again this week to hit my six miles before I have to make eight this weekend. I will be honest that I tried telling myself that maybe I should switch to the 10k plan...."I CAN'T do the 25k." But there is that word "can't," I despise that word. Maybe I'll end up running the 10k, but I'm not about to give up right now!

Until Next Time~
*krisha*

No comments:

Post a Comment